Mental Illness and Care Giving – Challenges, Concerns, and Complications
The Bible for the Indian Family Caregivers, the book provides guidance to those, who need to help their family members with mental illness but are groping in the dark. It is based on the author’s own experience as a caregiver and the information and the knowledge he has gained as a mental health activist. It is a legacy from him to the present and the future family caregivers.
The book has 4 parts. The First Part contains information on how to take care of a family member with schizophrenia and other mental illnesses; dos and don’ts and practical tips for day to day care. The Second Part provides information compiled from various sources about the types of mental illnesses, treatments and supportive therapies and guidance on related issues, chewed and digested to make it an easy read for family caregivers. The Third Part is a compendium of information for family caregivers as a handy material to help in their queries, misgivings, anxieties and worries which should provide them some relief. The Fourth Part has appendices containing information about the mental health institutions, stakeholders, literature on mental health, explaining terms, phrases and abbreviations.
After it is read once or twice, it can be used as a reference book, a caregivers’ constant companion.
About the Author:
1. President Schizophrenia Awareness Association Pune (2010-19)
2. Managing Trustee, Dr. J.K.Wani Rehab Centre, SAA, Pune
3. Chairperson Hospital Management Committee, NIMHANS, Bangalore (2015-2018)
4. Member Institutional Body NIMHANS Bangalore (An institute of National Importance) (2014-2018)
5. Chairperson Ethics Committee, Indian Law Society, Pune
6. Invited to Regional and National Consultations on Mental Healthcare Bill
7. Invited by Standing Parliament Committee on Health as an expert on Mental Healthcare Bill 2013
8. Member, Committee of Experts to frame Rules and Regulations for Mental Healthcare Act 2017
9. Guest speaker on the Mental Health Care Act 2017 by Delhi Judicial Academy and many others
10. Head of the Committee on Mental Illness constituted by the Disability Commissioner Maharashtra. (2017)
11. Member Expert Committee constituted by Maharashtra Govt. under Rights of Persons with Disability Act (Since 2018)
12. Member Expert Group on Psychotic Disorders, International Consortium for Health Outcome Measurement.
13. Invited by WHO’s Dept. of Mental Health and Substance Abuse for Expert Advice to review the mental health related draft material, WHO had prepared.
14. Collaborator for a three year Quality Rights Project in Gujarat, supported by Grand Challenges, Canada.
15. Appeared in Podcast Shows related to Caregiving and the Mental Health Care
16. Articles and interviews in national newspapers, magazines, TV.
- Paperback: 232 pages
- Publisher: White Falcon Publishing; 1 edition (2021)
- Author: Amrit Bakhshy
- ISBN-13: 9781636402154
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 1 x 9 Inches
Indian Edition available on:
We Also Recommend